No one likes being bombarded by pop-up ads, but you do need them every once in a while. Some sites still require that you add information to a pop-up window. Or maybe you can’t view a video or page because Safari’s pop-up blocker is blocking it. No matter the reason, here’s how to allow pop-ups on Safari.
How to Turn Off the Pop-up Blocker on Safari Desktop
The following method will only work for Mac desktops and laptops running Safari.
- Open Safari.
- Click “Safari” in the Apple Menu in the top-left corner of your screen. You will need to be in the Safari app to access this menu.
- Then click Preferences. You can also access Safari’s Preferences using the Command + comma keyboard shortcut.
- Click on the Websites tab at the top of the Preferences window.
- From the left sidebar, click on Pop-up Windows.
- Finally, click the drop-down menu in the bottom right corner of the window and select Allow. This will cause Safari to allow all pop-ups. You can also choose to block all pop-ups or notify you every time they are blocked.
If you don’t want to allow all pop-ups on Safari, you can set exceptions for specific websites or webpages that you currently have open. Click the drop-down menu next to a website and select Allow in the same Preferences window.
Note: To add exceptions, you first have to choose Block or Block and Notify from the drop-down menu. Doing this will change your pop-up blocker.
How to Allow Pop-ups on iPhone
If you have an iPhone or iOS device, Safari is your default browser. If you want to know how to block pop-ups on your iPhone or iPad, follow the steps below.
- Open the Settings app. This app comes on your device and cannot be deleted. It has a gear-shaped icon.
- Scroll down and tap Safari. This will have an icon that looks like your Safari app.
- Finally, turn on the toggle next to Block Pop-ups. You will know it is on when it is green.
Turn pop-ups on or off Chrome.
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More Settings.
- Under "Privacy and security," click Site settings.
- Click Pop-ups and redirects.
- At the top, turn the setting to Allowed or Blocked.
Pop-up blocker settings Firefox
To access the pop-up blocker settings:
- Click the menu button and select Options.
- Select the Privacy & Security panel.
- Under the Permissions section, uncheck the box next to Block pop-up windows to remove the pop-up blocker.
- A click on Exceptions… opens a dialog box with a list of sites that you want to allow to display pop-ups.
- The dialog box offers you the following choices:
- Allow: Click this to add a website to the exceptions list.
- Remove Website: Click this to remove a website from the exceptions list.
- Remove All Websites: Click this to remove all of the websites in the exceptions list.
Block pop-ups in Microsoft Edge
Applies to: Microsoft Edge
To do this:
- Go to Settings and more > Settings > Site permissions in the new Microsoft Edge.
- Select Pop-ups and redirects.
- Move the Block toggle to On.